When I was little, my family celebrated Thanksgiving at my Grandmother’s house. I remember how the table would be so well decorated and full of food. My Grandmother had made ceramic name holders, so we knew where to sit. The name holder also had an Andes candy in it. That was my favorite part of Thanksgiving, especially when Grandma would slip me a few Andes candies on the side. 🙂
For the last few years, I have celebrated Thanksgiving with my husband’s Boston family. It was actually at Thanksgiving that I first met them 5 years ago. Surrounded by 50 members of my husband’s family, all talking at the same time, was a bit overwhelming, but now it is hard to imagine Thanksgiving any other way.
However, we no longer live in Boston and have an opportunity to celebrate a bit differently this year. My husband and I have decided to host Thanksgiving for the first time ever. He seems really excited about cooking a turkey. We have decided to invite all the Americans that we know here along with their families. We should have about a dozen people. I think that is a good amount for our first Thanksgiving. We should have more than enough food. If this goes well, we are hoping to invite many more people next year.
Through all the running around to prepare for our first Thanksgiving here in Italy, I have forgotten all the many things and people I am thankful for. I have decided to make a list of ten things that I am thankful for this year.
- I am thankful that we get to host Thanksgiving and celebrate with new friends.
- I am thankful that my husband and I survived our first year of marriage. I love you husband.
- I am thankful for my Grandmother’s love and friendship. Miss you everyday, Grandma.
- I am thankful that we have this amazing opportunity to live in Tuscany.
- I am thankful for all the friends and family I got to visit with before I moved.
- I am thankful for all the awesome people I met through the Lucca Italian School.
- I always loved Black Friday Shopping, but now I am thankful that I live in another country so I don’t have to choose between that and Thanksgiving.
- I am thankful that I still get to watch Packers games.
- I am thankful for all the new places I got to explore this year.
- I am thankful for books.
Hope everyone back in the great U.S. of A. has a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving!